Monday, November 05, 2007

Sailing in the City


There's something especially thrilling about sailing against a backdrop of one of the world's major cities. And not just because of those weird shifts and puffs coming from in between all the skyscrapers.

So, for this month's sailing bloggers' group participation project I propose that we scour the world to identify the best photos of Sailing in the City. To qualify a photo must be not only an excellent photo of sailing but also have a background of a readily identifiable city, or city landmark. Golden Gate Bridge. Sydney Opera House. Statue of Liberty. Whatever. You get the idea.

As another sample of what I mean here is a photo of Merlin Rockets racing in front of Wembley Stadium in London from the Yachts and Yachting website.

I'm sure you can find much more spectacular examples. So, if you have a blog, please post your Sailing in the City photo there and let me know about it with an email to tillermeister@gmail.com. Or, if you don't have a blog, send me the photo or a link to it via email or in the comments to this post.

However you submit your entry please let me know as much as possible about the location and boats in your picture. If you found it somewhere on the Interwebs please let me know where so that we can acknowledge the photo's owner.

I will post links to the photos and/or the actual photos here. If we get a good response we will have a poll to determine the best Sailing in the City shots. Who knows, if there are enough quality pictures I may even produce a calendar on this theme.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sailing in the City" photos of Boston are here.

EVK4 said...

I didn't read your whole post...I put a pretty lame one up of us sailing with a somewhat identifiable San Francisco in the background.

I think I'll dig through the print archives and get one of me sailing into Horta (that's a major city, right?). Or I'll just get a better one of San Francisco.

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Here's my "Sailing in the City" entry. Thanks :)
http://team-gherkin.blogspot.com/2007/11/sailing-in-city.html

Zen said...

I have several, but after looking at them , they are not that great, but they are shots...
http://zensekai2.wordpress.com/2007/11/06/sailing-the-city/

Carol Anne said...

Well, this one might not really qualify as a recognizable cityscape -- except that sailors who sail in the San Diego area probably would recognize the location.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4791/1311/1600/06nyd3047.jpg

This photo was from the 2006 New Year's Regatta, and it shows three nuts from New Mexico, on board an ancient Etchells, out ahead of Dennis Connors' multimillion-dollar Q boat.

According to people who were there, at the party at the yacht club after the regatta, Zorro asked Dennis, "Have you ever seen an Etchells this old before?"

To which Dennis responded, "Yes."

Zorro's response: "From the rear?"

Anonymous said...

Photos from this years Lipton Cup (top interclub competition in South Africa) bellow Table Mountain in Cape Town: here and here.

Same competition last year: here.

Zen said...

then of course there is the photoblog: Sailing on the SF Bay
http://bilgewire.com/Sailing_on_S.F._Bay/

USA-4 Steve Bodner said...

sailing in the city...
Ive got a lot of good SF one here for you to choose from:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bodnersp/UsWindsurfingNationalsDay5FromHttpWwwPicyourshotComGallery3285484182869157/photo#5097876910557285986
http://picasaweb.google.com/bodnersp/UsWindsurfingNationalsDay5FromHttpWwwPicyourshotComGallery3285484182869157/photo#5097877022226435794
http://picasaweb.google.com/bodnersp/SteveBodnerUSA4WindsurfingCampaign/photo#5101608210937764978
ejoy
Steve
USA 4
stevebodner.blogspot.com

EVK4 said...

Aha, more incredibly artsy shots of Baghdad by the Bay in today's post.

I don't think I'm going to make it into the calendar at the rate I'm going.

Anonymous said...

I looked through my sailing photos for those that involved both Boston and sailboats.

http://woosta.wordpress.com/2007/11/07/sailing-in-the-city/

Litoralis may recognize several Charles river landmarks.

Atlantis WeatherGear said...

Hey Tillerman,

We had the opportunity in October to sail one of Donald Tofias' W-Class boats in the New York Classic Week.

Sailed on lots of cityfronts, but nothing quite like ripping around New York Harbor in a beautiful 76-footer trying not to get run over by barges or the Staten Island Ferry.

There are couple of nice pics on the Atlantis WeatherGear blog (scroll down to "Proper Yachting" post):

http://atlantisweathergear.blogspot.com

There were lots of other great pics taken by a variety of people including Cory Silken (http://www.photoshelter.com/gallery-show/
G0000lKaQ4zs1veo).

Tillerman said...

Steve - those links to picasaweb don't work for me. So I stole a pic of the Golden Gate Bridge from your blog. Please feel free to send me other photos and/or links though.

bonnie said...

ooh, nice to see those shots from Atlantis Weathergear. I already had dinghy sailing plans the day of that race so I missed it. Heard from my friends on the Adirondack that it was awesome.

Speaking of the Adirondack and the Staten Island Ferry...

bonnie said...

oh, and I liked this one and this one from the same day.

Post a Comment