Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Wanted: Good News

So here I am, trying to redress the balance after several posts I wrote whining about race committees and regatta organizers, deciding yesterday to be more positive and letting the world know of a story about how Malletts Bay Boat Club was able to post the results of the 2007 Laser US Nationals so quickly...

When some dude called Brian leaves a comment telling me about all the problems at the self-same regatta and letting all the air out of my balloon of optimism and positivity. Apparently Brian had to walk an eighth of a mile every day, and failed to make the time limit in one race, and suffered other gross indignities such as having to look at a sign saying "Member Parking Only"...

Well, I have to admit that dude Brian has the jump on me because he actually sailed in the regatta and actually has some hard facts, while I have just been soaking up the propaganda promulgated on the web by the regatta organizers. But even so...

I refuse to be brought down by dude Brian's negativity. I demand to hear good news about race committees and regatta organizers. So please tell me...

What was the best example you have seen this year of excellence in race management?

Which regatta organizers did a superb job in your view?

What regatta did you sail this year where you left thinking, "These folk just know how to run a regatta properly. I will be back."?

Give me some good news. I insist.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I tried to be as positive as I could about Nationals. And I left out the fact that the eighth of a mile walk (unless you forgot something and had to do it a couple times) was past the smelly, decaying carcass of a skunk.

Solid events? MOCR, D11, D10, D7, Canadians. All had solid on-the-water RC and acceptable to great off-the-water organization.

Anonymous said...

2007 Shields Nationals.
Excellent, world-class RC; marks moved to reflect shifts every time, including several times in one race. AP up if a shift made the line bad and a recall was necessary; no black flags! great courses; accurate finishes; excellent parties and food; terrific competition with pics and results up on the web site before we hit the dock each day.
Now that's how you run a regatta!

Anonymous said...

2006 Sunfish Worlds. Difficult conditions with not much wind later in the week and strong currents (Charleston, SC). Just a small ramp to get 100 Sunfish in and out of the water, but thanks to many helpers, this went very well. And it's SO nice to get some help dragging your boat up a ramp after a long day on the water. Also, and this is important, many crash boats, although barely anybody capsized.

On another note, some local (for me) low-key regattas around the Chesapeake Bay are run very well. The Corsica River Yacht Club and the Rock Hall Yacht Club both have Summer regattas with oodles of classes (from fast A-cats to relatively slow 420's and Sunfish). But the organizers make the racing and the parties pure pleasure.

Post a Comment