Saturday, July 07, 2007

3 Fatal Errors of Blogging

There are 3 things you must never ever do on your blog...

1. Don't stray from your niche. Unless the topic of your blog is catholic culinary doctrine, feline transportation techniques or inside-the-beltway gossip, do not pad out your blog with posts about Fish on Fridays, How to keep a cat happy, or Truth and the Bush Regime. Your readers come to your blog because they want to read about the main subject. That's why you will never find me writing about ditsy subjects like goldfish, carrots, or sunsets.

2. Don't piss off your most loyal readers by criticizing their blogs.

3. Never, never, never write a post purely for the purpose of entering one of those tantalizing blog competitions, even if there is a chance of winning a hundred bucks.

7 comments:

Carol Anne said...

Actually, I have several topic areas listed in the introduction to my blog, including sailing, cats, grammar, poetry, and Rio Arriba County.

That reminds me ... It's been a verrry looong time since I did a grammar post. Look for one soon.

Tillerman said...

Of course you're right carol anne. That's another twist on this whole one topic/ multiple topics blogging question. You write your blog intending to cover multiple topics; but I read it because I think of it as a sailing blog.

But then I'm actually also interested in grammmar and teaching and rural America; but not so much in cats or poetry.

Hey, I only wrote the post to enter the dopey competition. Hope I didn't offend.

PeconicPuffin said...

I liked the carrot post. But your goldfish period left me cold.

Tillerman said...

Thanks for the critical feedback PP. Look out for more carrots.

Carol Anne said...

Hey, no offense taken. Or course, Dulce might have another opinion...

Anonymous said...

Sheesh! And I thought I had a niche blog topic!

Funny stuff and a great entry in the writing project!

Anonymous said...

If you are creative enough, I think you can weave in info on a contest within your post, but you're right, an entire post dedicated to a contest entry wouldn't be wise.

Post a Comment