Monday, May 16, 2005

Fixing a Hole

I was driving to the lake to go sailing on Sunday morning. One of my sons had brought his new girlfriend to spend a couple of days with us and we had all got on fine. I was looking forward to sailing and the sun was shining. Life was good.

I was playing the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper album on the CD player in the car. "Fixing a Hole" was blasting out at full volume.

"And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right
Where I belong I'm right
Where I belong"

The lyric took me back to the year Sergeant Pepper came out. My friends and I were at college and were playing the record in a break between studying for final exams. The idea of "it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong I'm right" seemed especially perverse in the context of the high pressure exams facing us and always caused hysterical laughter.

Then I realized it fitted perfectly with my approach to practicing racing starts that I'd been writing about in last week's postings. It really doesn't matter which side of the start line I'm on as long as I'm close to it. If I'm wrong I'm right. OCS is OK.

Uh oh. Just blew straight past my exit off the Interstate. Have to head a further 4 or 5 miles to the next exit and make a U turn. Definitely a senior moment. Silly old geezer.


"I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
And stops my mind from wandering
Where it will go


I'm filling the cracks that ran through the door
And kept my mind from wandering
Where it will go"


Indeed. The old mind is wandering a lot these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment